HARTFORD HOUSE... IT IS LIFE'S EXCEPTION.
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
(Photo : Hartford House)
"...comfortable beyond dreams, yet innocent of pretence."
On a daily basis we’re receiving now, enquiries from around the world, prompted no doubt by the stream of pamphlets, brochures etc which fill your mailboxes with stallion propaganda at this time of year, as to when the Summerhill brochure will be on the street. It seems it has become coffee table material and archive stuff for many, but as always, it will be out at the beginning of August, and those attending our Stallion Day will be the first recipients.
We will be teasing you however, with the occasional inserts, the first of which is a piece on Hartford House :
"We are lucky to live where we do, in a boundless, unconquered world, where the plains roll away to the great skies beyond. There are those who will tell you there is no other place quite like it.
But we are equally fortunate in the people who came before us. Their footprints are everywhere at Hartford. The old manor house built by the family of the colony’s last Prime Minister, stands alone among the best homes of a splendid era. Built at a time when great wars were being waged by great nations for the spoils of our region, anybody who was anyone, knew the portals of this grand old dame.
Yet, long before the intrusion of these well scripted events, an ancient people lived here in quiet serenity among the plants and animals of our kingdom, and they built their abodes with the materials of the neighbourhood.
These are the people that gave birth to Ezulweni, a reversion to the methods of old, and a sensual interpretation of the way things were. The juxtaposing of Hartford House with Ezulweni provides our travelers with an insight into our colonial past, and a glimpse of the imaginations of our Zulu craftsmen, whose creative hands are embedded in the finishes.
In so many ways, Hartford stands apart for its originality. Its architecture, views, dining, sounds, scents, its racehorses and its people, are all exhilarating surprises, unique to this Zululand, to this property, and to Africa.
Hartford has gained and regained from the cultures it celebrates. It is life’s exception. A place at the same time comfortable beyond dreams, yet innocent of pretence.
- Among a select group of Gold Achiever Award winners at the Indaba International Travel Show with Singita, The Cape Grace, Mala Mala, The Mount Nelson etc.
- The only KwaZulu-Natal restaurant in the nation’s Top Ten 2007/8 and 2008/9.
- Voted among Top Billing’s Top Six Luxury Hotels in South Africa 2008/9.
- Rated by House and Leisure as South Africa’s Top Restaurant in 2009/10.
- Fedhasa East Coast award for Best Restaurant.
- Diners’ Club Platinum Winelist 2002-2009.
- Proud member of the Land of Legends with Phinda Private Game Reserve; Wilderness Safaris Rocktail Bay; Fordoun Spa, Hotel and Restaurant (www.landoflegends.co.za)
Are you on Summerhill's mailing list? If not, please send your details to email@example.com and we'll gladly ensure you get your personal copy.