Jackie's Afro Avo with ECR's What's Cooking
East Coast Radio's 'What's Cooking' headed from Durban to Hartford House in the KwaZulu-Natal Midlands last week to indulge in one of Head Chef Jackie Cameron's "East Coast Tables: The Inland Edition" recipes: Afro Avo.
Stylish and tasty, Jackie serves this as the cheese course on the Hartford House tasting menu. And yes, that is a 'Fro comb' she uses to texturize the avo!
- 3 small avocados
- 3 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300g (2 logs) ash-coated chevin
- 3 pieces coppa or Parma-style ham, oven dried, roughly broken
- ½ red onion, sliced into half-moons
- 1 kiwi fruit, skinned, sliced, quartered
- 12 tiny tips fresh mint
- A grind of black pepper, per plate
- A drizzle of virgin olive oil, per plate
- 12 butter-coated, oven dried slices of home-made melba toast
Mix avo, lemon juice and seasoning into a puree. Comb avo onto a stylish plate or slate. Place all other ingredients beautifully, finishing with crisp melba toast.