After the feast, coffee with shortbread is the perfect final touch. Shortbread, known by many to have originated in Scotland, is traditionally made in a round shape and cut from the centre in wedges. This symbolises the sun, a relic of the ancient New Year cake.
Yields: about 45 Portions
470 g Salted Butter
5 cups All Purpose Flour
½ cup Castor Sugar (Estelle, half a cup)
1) Cream the sugar and butter very well
2) Add the sifted flour
3) Knead well and press into tin (30 x 36cm) making sure the shortbread mixture covers the base
4) Dock or prick the shortbread very well all over
5) Put in the oven and bake at 160 ˚C for about 35 minutes or until cooked
6) Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shortbread with castor sugar.While still hot cut into squares
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.