Amarula Crème Brûlée Recipe
Amarula Crème Brûlée
A few weeks ago I was invited to help judge the Sunday Times Food Awards 2010, hosted in association with Foodcorp. Our task was to look for the hottest talent in our South African kitchens. Written entries were reviewed and a short-list of six contestants competed at the South African Chef's Association kitchen in Joburg. A first-class experience!
We were completely Amarula"ed" out by the end of pre-judging with Amarula Crème Brûlée, Amarula Parfaits, Amarula Chocolate Mousse and Amarula Crème Anglaise.
Yields : 4
4 Egg Yolks
55 ml White Sugar
1 cup Cream
1/2 Vanilla Pod, split
1 tot Amarula
1) Lightly whisk the egg yolks and sugar together and set aside
2) Bring the cream and split vanilla pod to the boil
3) Add the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture, strain
4) Finish with amarula and pour into crème brulee ramekin
5) Bake between in a Bain-marie / water bath… with luke warm water to start... 100˚C - 150˚C for 30 - 45 - 60 minutes or until firm around the outside and softish within. Refrigerate overnight, top with either caramelised sugar or sugar and then glaze with a blowtorch.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.