Beef Fillet with Coconut Milk, Hummus and Coriander Recipe
Makes 6 portions
- 740 g beef fillet
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut all sinew and excess fat off the beef fillet.
- Add oil and butter to a hot pan and sear the meat.
- Bake on a tray at 260°C for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove and allow the meat to rest. Slice the meat when cool.
- 1 400 g can chick peas, drained
- 1 teaspoon Durban masala
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- fine salt and pepper
- 1 large clove garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Place all hummus ingredients into a liquidiser and liquidise on a high speed until a thick and creamy consistency is reached.
- Place in a serving bowl and garnish with whole chickpeas and a sprinkle of paprika.
Spicy Coconut Milk
- 70 g butter
- 400 g onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons spice mix (To make ½ cup anytime
- spice mix, pulverise 1 tablespoon Durban masala,
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon
- coriander seed, 1 tablespoon cumin seed, 1
- tablespoon cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon fennel
- seed and 4 dried chillies in a blender)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- Heat a pan and add butter and then onions.
- Sauté onions until caramelised. Add 3 tablespoons of spice mix and cook until the aromas develop. Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Fresh coriander
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Put the hummus bowl, fresh coriander sprigs and toasted sesame seeds on a platter.
- Heat the spicy sauce, add the sliced beef and heat through.
- Once warm, arrange on the platter and serve with chunky, fresh crispy bread.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.