Braised Pork Belly Recipe
Braised Pork Belly
- Crispy Pork Belly
- 2 KG Slab of pork belly rind on
- 2 Carrots diced roughly
- 1 Leek diced roughly
- 4 Pepper Corns
- 2 x 340 ml cans dry cider
- 10 fresh sage leafs
- Chicken stock to cover
- Start by making a sugar salt cure at a 50/50 ratio and sprinkle generously over both sides of the pork, leave the cure on for up to 4 hours and rinse.
- Line a deep baking tray with baking paper and place your chopped vegetables at the bottom.
- Place your pork on top of this and add the rest of the ingredients, ensure the pork is well covered.
- Cover with another sheet of baking paper and close the top of the tray using tin foil.
- Braise in the oven at 145 degrees for 3 and a half to 4 hours depending how thick the belly is but the flesh should feel like it would like to fall apart but still be firm.
- Remove pork belly from hot liquid and place onto a tray with baking paper in between and press with another tray and some weight on top of that in the fridge overnight.
- This will set your pork to have a uniform flat skin.
- Cut your pork into 150 gram portions and lightly score the skin, rub a little salt on top and place skin side down in a non-stick frying pan with a brush of oil in it.
- Cook the pork in the pan skin side down on a low to medium heat till the skin is golden brown and crispy, flip over and place in the oven till hot all the way through and that skin is crunchy ( do use a splatter guard if you have one as the pork will spit).
Please feel free to post any comments or any questions below.