Brookdale's Ostrich Moussaka Stack Recipe
Ostrich Moussaka Stack with a Lemon Herb Yoghurt Drizzle
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 30 ml beef stock powder
- 350 g ostrich mince
- 2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2,5 ml ground cinnamon
- 2,5 ml ground nutmeg
- 250 ml beef stock [extra]
- 60 ml fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 60 ml fresh basil, chopped
- 2 medium size brinjals, sliced length-ways (discard two outside pieces)
- 2 small red peppers, quartered herb salt and black pepper
- Combine onion, garlic and stock in a medium size saucepan and cook until soft.
- Add mince, tomatoes and spices and stir until mince is browned.
- Add extra stock and bring to the boil allow to simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh herbs.
- Rub brinjals and peppers with a little olive oil.
- Place on a hot griddle pan until browned and softened.
- When ready to eat, make the stack combining brinjal, peppers and cooked mince on a serving plate, drizzle with lemon herb yoghurt and top with fresh rocket leaves.
Lemon Herb Yoghurt Drizzle
- 250 ml plain low fat yoghurt
- 15 ml lemon zest, freshly grated
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 30 ml Italian parsley, finely chopped herb salt and black pepper
- 150 g fresh rocket leaves
- Combine all ingredients.
- Serve topped with fresh rocket leaves.
Brinjals are very low in fat and calories, but a good source of soluble fibre and B-vitamins. They will add low caloric value, but high nutritional value to any meal!
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.