Christmas Recipe Two
Christmas Turkey... or Guinea Fowl Stuffing
Turkey… or Guinea Fowl. Roasted fowl with the most savoury of savoury stuffings.
Yields: Just over 3 cups or about 1.120 kg
- 160g Onion
- 295g Bacon
- 250g cleaned Chicken Livers
- 500g Pork Sausages
- 35g Pistachio Nuts (chef's note: or any other Nut of choice. I like the green colour of the Pistachio Nuts which adds interest)
- 3 Eggs
- 6 T Brandy
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ t Nutmeg
- 125g Breadcrumbs
- 2 x 1.6kg Guinea fowls
- 100g Salted Butter
- 10ml coarse Salt
- Fresh grind of Black Pepper
- Sauté chopped onion and bacon and set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to the boil. Lightly poach livers in water and set aside.
- Squeeze the pork mince out of the sausages.
- Roast and roughly chop the pistachio nuts.
- Mix all the above ingredients together.
- You are now ready to stuff the turkey/guineafowl - under the breast skin and inside the turkey's cavity.
Stuffing and Cooking of the Guinea fowl
- Stuff the guinea fowl underneath the breast skin and within the cavity.
- Place onto an oven tray, covered with tin-foil and within the oven. (For every 500g of undressed Guinea Fowl cook for 20 minutes at 190°C. The last ten minutes turn up the heat to 220°, remove the tin foil and get crisp.)
- Let the guinea fowl relax for 20 or so minutes and then serve.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713