Christmas Panforte Recipe
Christmas Recipe Ten
A Sienna, Italian, Christmas Cake-very different from the typical English cake. More like a spicy-nutty-chocolate dense nougat. The South African Flair instead of using traditional hazelnuts and flaked almonds... think Mozambique an Cashews.
Yields: 16x20cm - 2 trays
- 280g Cashew Nuts
- 200g Castor Sugar
- 200g Honey
- 30ml Water
- 350g Candied Peel
- 50g Cocoa Powder
- 110g Cake Flour
- 3ml Cinnamon Powder
- Rice Paper
- Roast the nuts, de-skin if necessary.
- Place the sugar, honey and water into a pot and bring up to 115°C.
- Place the candied peel, cocoa, cake flour and cinnamon powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar mixture.
- Grease the tin, line with rice paper and then top with panforte mix.
- Bake at 130°C for 5 minutes, remove slightly cool and portion into desired shapes traditionally panforte is round.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713