"Coq au vin" Pasta Recipe
"Coq au vin" Pasta
By drawing from local resources we can reduce our carbon footprints. And always remember 'local is lekker'! With the ever-increasing demand more wholesome food is being produced - this often with a cheerful twist. Simplicity is the keyword but remember simple does not always mean quick and easy.
Energy Food with a Modern Twist
Yields: 2 large portions
500ml Full Cream Milk
½ Small Onion
1no Fresh Bay Leaves
25gr salted Butter
25gr Cake Flour
Season with salt and pepper
REST OF THE DISH
5 g salted Butter
5 g Sunflower Oil
110gr Bacon, rind removed
45gr Pearl Onions- cut in half or use sliced onions
315gr Chicken Breast (2 nice size breast)
150gr Red Wine
7gr chopped, Fresh Thyme
70gr Exotic Mushrooms or any readily available mushrooms
1) In a small saucepan allow the milk, onion, peppercorn and bay leaf to come to the boil, infuse and strain
2) In another saucepan melt the butter, whisk in the flour amount. Cook for about 2minutes forming a roux. Add the hot milk mixture slowly to the roux and bring to the boil. Set aside
3) Heat a large pan with butter and oil, sauté bacon and push to the side of the pan when cooked. Then add the pearl onions-cut side down and sear. Push to the side as well
4) Cut chunky but neat slices of chicken, sear on the one side of the pan-do one breast at a time and push to the side again.
5) By this stage your pan should be very hot, add red wine and reduce to almost nothing
6) Once reduced add the warm white sauce and bring to the simmer reducing to your desired consistency, being careful not to overcook the chicken so ensuring it is a quick process
7) Finish with fresh thyme and exotic mushrooms
8) Mix around and serve with your favourite pasta
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.