Carla Ferrari's Focaccia Recipe
On a recent visit to Switzerland, I unexpectedly crossed the border one day for lunch in Italy. Choosing a traditional caprese salad with Foccacia bread and Gnocchi Gorgonzola seemed the right thing to do. And it was. What a meal!
Carla Ferrari's Focaccia
(Flat oven baked Italian bread topped with herbs or whatever you desire)
Yields : 1 focaccia sized 23cm x 32cm
15 g Instant, Dry Yeast
250 ml Luke warm Water
500 g White Flour
5 ml Fine Salt
125 ml Olive Oil
Extra Olive Oil
1) Allow the yeast to stand in the water for a few minutes
2) Place the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and cut in the yeast mixture. Once this is all added in, add the olive oil
3) Knead on a counter top until you can see activity under the outer layer… little bubbles. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth and allow rising until double in size
4) Use your fingertips and push this bread dough out to cover the base of the oiled pan. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, Maldon salt and chopped rosemary - continue using your finger tips
5) Set aside and rise again slightly, bake at 220˚C until golden in colour and serve
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.