I'd like to share a few of the recipes on the Hartford House Christmas tasting menu - a sneak preview of the 12 or so courses, you may say.
Dessert, which is still many days of preparation away but it will include toasted marshmallows, chocolate fondants (oozing decadent Belgium chocolate) and lots of fresh summer fruits and berries.
Yields : 2 x 18x16 cm trays
150 ml Water
2 T Gelatine Powder
5 ml Vanilla Essence
450 g White Sugar
200 ml Warm Water
225ml Liquid Glucose
1 Egg White
45 ml Corn Flour
45 ml Icing Sugar
1) Place the 150 ml water, gelatine and vanilla into a stainless steel bowl and dissolve over a double boiler. Remove from the heat once dissolved and leave this on top to keep warm
2) Dissolve the sugar, warm water over a low heat
3) Stir in the glucose and once added stop stirring and bring this to 118˚C
4) Place the liquid gelatine mixture into a mixing bowl. Start whisking and slowly pour in the liquid glucose mixture while the machine is whisking. Continue whisking until this mixture is cooled down
5) Once cooled down add the egg white slowly to this
6) Oil the trays and then mix the corn flour and icing sugar together. Lightly sprinkle the trays with this
7) Pour your marshmallow mixture into these tins. Allow to set for 12-24 hours
8) Cut into desired shapes and sizes with a knife that has been coating in the same corn flour and icing sugar mixture, as it makes it easier. Once cut roll the marshmallows in this mixture as well.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below.
I look forward to hearing from you.