Phyllo Pastry Recipe
Makes: 16 Sheets
- 500gr Cake Flour
- 250ml Water
- 1.25ml Fine Salt
- 200gr Butter, melted
- Flour, for rolling
- In a mixing bowl place the flour, water and salt.
- With the dough-hook attachment mix on a high speed for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the mixing bowl and knead by hand for another 2 minutes.
- Make the dough into a ball, place into a greased bowl and cover with cling wrap.
- Leave to rest for 2 hours in the kitchen.
- Then make the dough into 16balls, about the size of a golf ball.
- When you are rolling out... keep the other balls well covered to ensure they don’t dry out.
- Flour your hands, rolling pin and the counter top-add flour as needed.
- Using your rolling pin roll each ball as thin as you possible, keep rotating the dough, you can also stretch the dough, to make it thinner. The thinner the better and the more translucent it will become. You should be able to hold this up to the light and almost see-through it. (This can be done on a pasta machine if you have).
- Layer them on top of each other with lots of flour and/ baking paper between each layer. Keep aside for later use.
- When using-place a sheet into your dish, layers each sheet with a brushing of melted butter.
- Bakes at 120°C for about 30 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.