Prawn and Chicken Liver Skewers Recipe
Jonty's Prawn & Chicken Liver Skewers
with Harissa-Sherry Cream
Jonty knows my weakness for chicken livers. As a birthday treat he has combined them with prawns and Harissa paste, specifically with me in mind.
- 24 de-shelled Prawns (with tails intact if possible)
- 16 chicken livers
- Half onion finely chopped
- 400ml Cream
- 100ml medium sherry
- Harissa Paste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Jonty's Harissa Paste :
- 70g Long Fresh Red Chillies
- 2 Tbsp coarsely ground caraway seeds
- 2 Tbsp coarsely ground cumin seeds
- 2 tsp ground black cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large red peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp good smoked paprika
- 12 Tbsp extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- Smoked Maldon Salt
- Black pepper
- Slice Chillies in half and de-see. Place chillies in food processor and blend with half the spices, garlic and salt. Blend until smooth.
- Add the peppers and blend. Try get really smooth.
- Decant into a bowl and combine the rest of the ingredients with a small whisk or spoon. Season to taste.
- Pan-Flash livers and prawns with a knob of butter until cooked then set aside.
- Add onions to the same pan and sauté quickly. De-glaze the pan with the splash of medium sherry and allow to simmer for a few seconds.
- Add your cream and 2 or 3 Tbsp Harissa Paste and reduce to desired consistency and taste.
- Season and return your livers and prawns to the sauce.
- The rest of the Harissa can be stored and used later.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713