Steamed Mealie Bread Recipe
- 500g Sweetcorn kernels (off the cob)
- 250ml Cake flour
- 3 Eggs
- 45ml Melted salted butter
- 50ml White sugar
- 125ml Crème Fraiche
- 5ml Fine salt
- 5ml Baking Powder
- In a blender pulse all your ingredients until everything is incorporated but the sweetcorn kernels are still quite chunky.
- Set up a large pot of water over high heat.
- Spray and cook a suitable baking tin. Full to ¾ with the mealie mix and cling film tightly.
- Set a colander inside the pot with the water just coming through the bottom holes.
- Place your baking tin inside the colander and cover your pot with a lid.
- Depending on the size of the loaf, usually a small loaf will take 30 minutes. Keep checking it by inserting a knife into the centre of the bread when it comes out clean your bread is cooked. Rest for 15 minutes on a wire rack.
Please feel free to post any comments or any questions below.
Head Chef | Hartford House