Christmas Recipe Eleven
Buchu Flavoured Christmas Shortbread
(Buchu - ( Agathosma Betulina)is a historical healing herb and belongs to the fynbos plant kingdom. This treasure occurs naturally in the mountainous area of the Western and Southern Cape and is endemic to South Africa. It grows in virgin soil on the southern slope of the mountain)
Yields: about 40 Portions-30x36cm tin
- 200ml White Sugar
- 470g Salted Butter
- 5 cups Cake Flour
- Buchu essence or powder, for flavour
- ½ cup Castor Sugar
- Cream the sugar, Buchu and butter very well.
- Add the sifted flour.
- Knead well and press into the tin making sure the shortbread mixture covers the base.
- Prick the shortbread very well all over.
- Put in the oven and bake at 160˚C for about 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the shortbread with castor sugar. While still hot cut into squares.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713