Christmas Recipe Five
Traditionally Christmas pudding is served with brandy sauce but in South Africa we add a hint of Sherry to add the desired sweetness.
Yields: 1 Pudding serves 6-8
- 3 whole Eggs
- 125ml Brandy
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 cups or 500g Mixed Fruit
- Pinch salt
- 10ml Mix Spice
- 1 ½ cups fine Suet
- 5ml Nutmeg Powder
- 6 soaked Prunes, chopped
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 Lemon, zest
- 5ml Lemon Juice
- Beat the eggs well, add brandy and sugar.
- Fold in all the other ingredients.
- Place into a clasped-boiling pudding tin or into a large pudding bowl.
- Cover both tightly with foil and if using the tin clasp closed.
- Place this into a large pot with boiling water ensure that the pudding does not touch the base of the pot by placing an object beneath it. I use a thin brick tile. When needed top up with water to cover ¾ of the tin.
- Reduce heat and simmer for six hours, serve straight away.
- 40g salted Butter
- 20g all-purpose Flour
- 60g Caster Sugar
- 30ml Golden Syrup
- 150ml Milk
- 150ml Cream
- 30ml Sherry
- 30ml Brandy
- Melt butter in a sauce pan on a low heat.
- Add flour slowly to ensure no lumps form and cook for one minute.
- Add caster sugar and syrup to the above mixture and stir continuously.
- Add milk and cream and cook the mixture until the correct consistency is reached. Set aside.
- Just before serving add Brandy.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713