Mince Bobotie Rolls with Homemade Chutney
Makes : 12 Rolls
- 15gr Salted Butter
- 15ml Sunflower Oil
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 15ml Durban Masala
- 10ml Turmeric Powder
- 500gr Topside Beef Mince
- 15ml White Wine Vinegar
- 10ml White Sugar
- ½ slice White Bread, soaked in 40ml Full Cream Milk
- 35gr Seedless Raisins
- 25ml Mrs Balls Chutney
- ½ Lemon Zest, grated
- Salt and Black Pepper for seasoning
- 80ml Plain Yoghurt
- 80ml Fresh Cream
- 2 whole Eggs
- In a pan melt the butter and heat the sunflower oil.
- Add the onions and sauté until well cooked.
- Add the spices and allow cooking.
- Then add the mince and start the cooking process. While this mixture is cooking add the white wine vinegar and white sugar.
- Add the soaked bread and milk.
- Finish off with the raisins, chutney and lemon zest.
- Check seasoning for salt and black pepper.
- Place this mixture into a greased 18cmX14cm tray, cover with foil and bake in the oven at 180⁰C for 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Divide the mixture into 12 portions and roll into long rolls with plastic wrap-tie the ends.
- Poach in water for 5minutes, then allow to cool and remove the plastic wrap.
- While cooling make the egg custard, by whisking the yoghurt, cream and eggs together.
- Place the bobotie rolls onto a greased tray, then drizzle/pour/spoon the egg custard over.
- Place into the oven for 15 - 20minutes, until golden brown and the egg custard is set on top.
- 250gr Dried Apricots
- 250gr Dried Peaches
- 50gr Onions, chopped
- 5gr Garlic, grated
- 200gr White Sugar
- 125gr Raisins
- 125gr Sultanas
- 5ml Dijon Mustard
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Durban Masala
- Place the dried apricots and peaches into a pot and cover with boiling water, allow to cook for about 20 minutes or until the dried fruit is soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well together.
- Allow to simmer for about 45minutes to 1hour. You might need to add more water while cooking, to ensure a sticky chutney consistency. Store in a sterilised glass jar and serve with the bobotie rolls.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.