Lady Fingers aka Boudoir Biscuits
Yields : +-27 at 7.5cm
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons (25g) white sugar
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) vanilla essence
- ½ cup (65g) cake flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 0.625ml cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons (36g) white sugar
- Castor sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 180˚C line a baking tray with baking paper. (Divide your baking paper into 7.5cm rows horizontally along the sheet. Leave a 2cm gap after each row. Later you will pipe the 'biscuits' vertically into these 7.5cm rows with 1cm between each 'biscuit.').
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, beat the egg yolks and 2 tablespoons of sugar for about 5 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and creamy in colour.
- Beat in the vanilla essence.
- Sift the cake flour over the mixture but do not fold in.
- In a clean bowl with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 3 tablespoons of sugar and whisk until stiff peak forms and the whites are glossy.
- Fold the whites into the yolk mixture a little at a time without over mixing.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and holding the bag at a 45 degree angle to the baking sheet, pipe the mixture into 7.5cm long lady fingers using the lines drawn on the baking paper as your guide. Leave about 1cm between each lady finger.
- When you have piped all the 'biscuits', sift the castor sugar lightly over the top of the cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the lady fingers are slightly firm but still spongy when pressed with a finger.
- Put the baking sheet on a cooling rack when cooled, leave to cool slightly then remove with a flat palate knife, if you leave them to cool completely they will stick and be to hard to remove without breaking. Finish cooling the lady fingers on the cooling rack before using or storing them within an airtight container.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.Jackie Cameron
Hartford House, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
+27 33 263 2713