Makes 8 large portions
- 400 g ready-made puff pastry (or use leftover croissants from breakfast)
- 100 g raisins
- 75 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 100 g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 litre milk
- ½ cup cream
- 235 g white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons butter for greasing
- Unroll the puff pastry and cut into six pieces. Grease a tray well and bake these pieces at 220°C in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Butter an ovenproof dish. Divide each warm puff pastry piece in half lengthways to form two layers. Place a layer of pastry into the dish, breaking pieces to fit the base of the dish. Top the puff pastry with some raisins and nuts and continue until the dish is full. Ensure even distribution of nuts and raisins between the puff layers.
- Bring the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon to the boil.
- Pour over the puff pastry and bake at 180°C for about 30 minutes until browned on the top.
- Serve hot with whipped cream.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.