Venison Consommé Recipe
Yields : 700ml
Serves : 4
- 5x Egg Whites and their shells
- 550gr Springbok or any venison, cut in small blocks
- 1 (50gr) Leeks, chopped
- 1 (240gr) Onions, chopped
- 40gr Celery
- 1 (75gr Carrots, chopped
- 200gr Tomatoes, chopped
- 2x Bay Leaves
- 2 sprig Thyme
- 2 (10gr) Garlic
- 6x Whole Black Peppercorns
- 250ml Beef Stock
- 5x Egg Whites
- Whisk the egg whites lightly.
- In a large pot, add the egg whites, shells, springbok, vegetables, thyme, bay leaves, garlic and peppercorns. Combine all together.
- Add the cold beef stock and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and you will find that the whisked egg whites will start to rise to the top of the stock. This will form a thick raft or a covering over the stock.
- Break a whole in the raft's centre and allow the consommé to bubble lightly through this for an hour and a half.
- When the time is nearly up, top this mixture with another lightly whisked five egg whites.
- Strain the liquid through a Muslim cloth or oil filter being very careful not to break the raft as all the impurities and vegetables will be stuck to this.
- Liquid should be clear and translucent if not strain again through an oil filter. Heat up on service-slighty reduce if necessary and serve with smokey olives, chives and creamy goat's cheese.
Please post your comments and any food-related questions below. I look forward to hearing from you.